Sunday, June 24, 2007

Grizzly Peak hike - June 16



Better Slideshow

Resigned to loss of bicycle, I decided to climb something high and non-bikable. This didn't end up too extreme, but it was definately high and not too busy. I find hikes online mostly, looking for reviews and pictures. Not too systematic about it, sometimes whatever I'm looking at when I decide I'm tired of looking ends up where I go. Looking for combination of hike quality and short-ish drive generally.

Grizzly Peak was pretty obviously not that popular, but the pics were amazing.
This panorama and these (scenery more then people) were what sold me... so I went. It doesn't feel like cheating the experience to look at pictures first - it never looks exactly like that, and you forget them anyway experiencing it for yourself. I had been up Loveland Peak before with Krisana on the way to skiing in A-basin, I was proud to be able to drive it on my own this time.

Lots of little peaks on the ridge. I think there was one mini-peak after the true summit... but the view was nicer from that one anyway. View down to valleys on three sides, and far-off mountain ranges all around. Saw marmots! large mountain muskrat-y things sort of. Would have been a quick hike, but I took a nap at the top. Sunburn.

No comments: